Dr. and Mrs. Howe have established a four-year scholarship to a Buffalo State student who has done and will commit to doing significant volunteer work to address community and social issues! Candidates must meet the following criteria:
1. be a resident of and have graduated from a high school in one of the following counties: Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Genesee, Wyoming, or Allegany, with preference to city of Buffalo residents;
2. be accepted and enrolled as a full-time (at least 12 credit hours each semester) incoming first-year or incoming sophomore student at Buffalo State;
3. have a minimum high school grade point percentile of 85% or equivalent GPA (for incoming first-year) or overall GPA of 2.5 or higher (for sophomores);
4. have demonstrated community engagement and/or leadership throughout high school;
5. have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The amount of the scholarship will be the amount needed to cover the remaining balance of mandatory costs to attend Buffalo State other than tuition, up to a maximum of $5,000. Scholarship will be deposited to recipient's student account to cover the remaining balance of mandatory costs to attend Buffalo State other than tuition.
Contingent on the donors' funding, each scholarship is renewable for up to three additional years provided the recipient:
1. be enrolled as a full-time student (at least 12 credit hours) each semester;
2. maintains a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher each semester;
3. complete 200 hours of community engagement annually (6-8 hours per week) and work to engage other students in community service in coordination with the Civic and Community Engagement Office.
To apply please complete an application on the Buffalo State Campus Application Portal for Scholarships (CAPS)
Application deadline: August 25, 2017
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free.