Dr. and Mrs. Howe have established a four-year scholarship to a Buffalo State student who has done and will commit to doing significant volunteer work to address community and social issues. Candidates must meet the following criteria:
2. Be accepted and enrolled as either
a. a full-time (at least 12 credit hours each semester) incoming first-year student at Buffalo State or
b. a full-time (at least 12 credit hours each semester) current student with sophomore standing (defined as having successfully completed at least 30 credit hours and less than 60 credit hours);
3. Have the following academic ranking:
a. if an incoming freshman, have a minimum high school percentile of 85% or equivalent GPA or
b. if a sophomore, have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 or higher;
4. Have demonstrated community engagement and/or leadership activities;
5. Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The amount of the scholarship will be $5,000, which can only be used toward non-tuition costs billed by the college. The scholarship will be used first for qualified costs of attendance (mandatory fees, required books, and supplies). Any remaining funds will be used for nonqualified costs of attendance billed by the college (including required health insurance, on-campus housing, meal plans).
Contingent on the donors' funding, each scholarship is renewable for up to three additional years provided the recipient
1. is enrolled as a full-time student (at least 12 credit hours) each semester;
2. maintains a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher each semester;
3. completes 200 hours of community engagement annually (6-8 hours per week) and works to engage other students in community service in coordination with the CCE; and
4. demonstrates excellence in his/her community engagement and leadership activities and promise for the future, as evaluated by the director of the CCE.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.