“Incorporating service-learning in my course is much easier than I imagined. The office assists in finding appropriate projects, supporting students, and ensuring effective partnerships to support student learning - it makes the opportunity accessible for faculty and valuable for student learning.”
-Eric "Luke" Krieg, Professor of Sociology
Service-learning at SUNY Buffalo State is driven by faculty who choose to incorporate a community-based learning project into a course that provides students with hands-on opportunities to learn course content while engaging with local communities. The Civic and Community Engagement Office provides a strong support system for faculty using service-learning including:
• Assisting in identifying relevant community-based projects;
• Developing partnerships with community partner agencies;
• Assisting with course conversion;
• Coordinating student schedules and assisting students with logistical arrangements;
• Providing orientation sessions to introduce students to service-learning, answer questions about community partner agencies, scheduling, logistics, and safety, in efforts to ensure the success of the partnerships;
• Networking with SUNY Buffalo State service-learning faculty members and faculty members at other regional institutions through the Western New York Service-Learning Coalition;
• Conducting faculty training and other professional development opportunities including a faculty fellowship program and a conference on service-learning in partnership with the Western New York Service-Learning Coalition;
• Offering student and community partner assessment opportunities to help determine the effectiveness of the service-learning component of your course;
• Recognizing faculty and students who have demonstrated excellence in service-learning at the annual Celebration of Service.
The Civic and Community Engagement Office staff are delighted to meet with you throughout the semester to discuss anything related to incorporating service-learning into your course work. Please feel free to contact Laura Hill Rao, Director, or Joy Guarino, Associate Professor of Dance and Faculty Coordinator for Service-Learning at 878-3919 to begin the conversation.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free.