“Incorporating service-learning in my course is much easier than I imagined. The office assists in finding appropriate projects, supporting students, and ensuring effective partnerships to support student learning - it makes the opportunity accessible for faculty and valuable for student learning.”
-Eric "Luke" Krieg, Professor of Sociology
Service-learning at SUNY Buffalo State is driven by faculty who choose to incorporate a community-based learning project into a course that provides students with hands-on opportunities to learn course content while engaging with local communities. The Civic and Community Engagement Office provides a strong support system for faculty using service-learning including:
• Assisting in identifying relevant community-based projects;
• Developing partnerships with community partner agencies;
• Assisting with course conversion;
• Coordinating student schedules and assisting students with logistical arrangements;
• Providing orientation sessions to introduce students to service-learning, answer questions about community partner agencies, scheduling, logistics, and safety, in efforts to ensure the success of the partnerships;
• Networking with SUNY Buffalo State service-learning faculty members and faculty members at other regional institutions through the Western New York Service-Learning Coalition;
• Conducting faculty training and other professional development opportunities including a faculty fellowship program and a conference on service-learning in partnership with the Western New York Service-Learning Coalition;
• Offering student and community partner assessment opportunities to help determine the effectiveness of the service-learning component of your course;
• Recognizing faculty and students who have demonstrated excellence in service-learning at the annual Celebration of Service.
The Civic and Community Engagement Office staff are delighted to meet with you throughout the semester to discuss anything related to incorporating service-learning into your course work. Please feel free to contact Laura Hill Rao, Director, or Joy Guarino, Associate Professor of Dance and Faculty Coordinator for Service-Learning at 878-3919 to begin the conversation.
Back to Top
Some content on this page is saved in PDF format. To view these files, download Adobe Acrobat Reader free. If you are having trouble reading a document, request an accessible copy of the PDF or Word Document.